Sunday, April 24, 2005

THIS STOP: MIAMI

[Alice sent her regards from Miami.]

THIS STOP: MIAMI (April 23, 2005)

I am typing to you from the lobby of The Abbey Hotel where I'm staying in Miami. The film plays tonight in South Beach for the Miami Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. Afterwards, the local lesbian club (Siren at Creme) throws us an after-party. I'm told we've been sold out for days and that "there are a lot of angry lesbians demanding tickets." I don't know whether to be happy or scared.

I got here on Thursday night when the festival organizers arranged for a car to ferry me off to dinner with two of the other festival guests Bea Arthur and Craig Lucas. BEA ARTHUR! I Heart Bea Arthur! The organizers Carol, Jaie, and Jim (publicist) were also at dinner and made me feel completely at home. Oh who am I kidding - as cool as they were, I was all about The Golden Girl. Can I just say, she's in her eighties, but the lady's still got it. In the car on the way home, Carol, Jim and I had a big debate as to whether she was gay or straight. Jim and I think gay. Carol thinks she's straight. Then again, Carol's British and has never seen either Maude or The Golden Girls so her cultural reference points are way off.

Craig Lucas was also very cool. For those of you who don't know, he is an amazing playwright who wrote the play Prelude to a Kiss, and just made his directorial film debut with The Dying Gaul. I feel the need to explain because my friend - upon hearing I was having dinner with Craig Lucas - said, "I didn't know the guy who created Star Wars was gay." (I'm not saying GL is or isn't but I wouldn't be surprised if the Siths spoke with a sibilant "s" when no one's watching.)

Today, a couple of folks from the festival took me to Little Havana for good Cuban food. We went to a great place called La Carreta (3632 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL) which my Cuban friend Karim says is as authentic as it gets. Delish.

Okay, I've gotta get ready for the screening so I'm signing off til later. Wish me a good one.